Thursday, September 8, 2011

Good Morning!

I have officially started training for my Half Marathon. My mileage is low, but I'm mixing it up with some cardio classes for right now. Don't worry, I'm going to start bumping up the mileage when I return from a backpacking trip next week.

This morning, I ran a couple of miles then I took my first pilates class. This was my first time taking pilates and it was AMAZING!!! It was like meditating and exercising at the same time. It was challenging, but since my focus was on my form and breathing, I didn't think too much about anything else. When I did lose focus, I would think about how it was my first time and would start negative self-talk, such as "I have no idea what I'm doing" and "This teacher probably thinks I'm an idiot". That voice came and went a couple of times throughout the hour, but I think I did a good job refocusing on my breathing and form. When I was fully focused in the class, the voice would go away. Realizing this now is going to benefit me greatly when I start getting into my longer runs and other difficult parts of my training. In addition to my physical training, I need to be just as dedicated to my mental training. This means finding a focus/refocus plan that works for me and practicing it every time I exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment